Safety: Considerations, Consultations and Equipment for your Industrial 3D Printing Operation
At Würth, we prioritize operational security and safety to ensure that you can introduce additive manufacturing or industrial 3D printing into your operation with confidence and reap its game-changing benefits.
Building out industrial 3D printing capabilities requires careful planning and consideration. Filament 3D printing, or FDM/FFF 3D printing may seem straightforward, but resin and in particular metal 3D printing present unique challenges that demand expert attention. At Würth, we offer comprehensive reviews of your setup and can help you develop a plan that addresses all safety concerns. We also carry the equipment you'll need. Partner with Würth, from initial exploration to the buildout of a fully fledged and strategic additive manufacturing program.
Allow us to share our experiences with you and potentially save you time, so that you can move forward and achieve success with confidence.
To ensure the safety of your industrial 3D printing operation, it's crucial to focus on the following key areas. By carefully considering and addressing these aspects, you can protect your teams and equipment, avoid accidents, and pave the way for a successful and sustainable additive manufacturing program.
- Personal protective equipment (PPE): When working with 3D printers, it is important to wear appropriate protective gear such as gloves, goggles, and a respirator to protect against potential injuries or exposure to hazardous materials.
- Fume extraction: Many 3D printing processes produce harmful fumes, so it's important to have proper ventilation in place to extract these fumes and keep the air in the workspace safe to breathe.
- Powder handling: Powder-based metal 3D printing processes involve potentially hazardous materials. These powders can be harmful to inhale or ignite, so it's essential to handle them carefully and use appropriate protective equipment, such as a respirator and an explosion-proof vacuum cleaner.
- Gas usage: Some metal 3D printing processes use gases like nitrogen or argon, which pose a potentially fatal health hazard. It's crucial to handle and store these gases safely and use appropriate protective equipment when working with them. Regular checking for gas leaks is also advised for safety.
- Chemical handling: Many AM processes involve the use of chemicals, such as solvents, during post-processing. It is important to handle and dispose these using the appropriate equipment and processes.
- Dust and particle generation: Some post-processing operations, such as sanding or grinding, can produce dust and particles that are harmful to inhale or could damage human skin. Further, manual post-processing can be tiresome and it's worth it to reflect on the appropriate processes, ergonomics and manufacturing aid, or consider a move to include automated solutions. Fun fact, some of our customers 3D print specific equipment used for both manual and automated post processing.
Ed Tackett, our Additive Manufacturing Lead Technologist, brings a wealth of experience to Würth Additive Group. We don't want to leave you to figure this out on your own! Allow us to save you some time and give you a quality consultation.
Prior to joining us, Ed has been instrumental in building and executing curricula for the University of Louisville. These were focused on the operation of and design for industrial 3D printing equipment. To learn more about our approach and expertise, you can read about how we work here.
Standards and Regulations:
3D printing is a fairly young industry and there aren't widely used safety standards, in particular for printing metals. We recommend our customers to design their setup according to the following, generally applicable safety standards:
Don't have the time or muse to read all this? Send us a note and we'll get back to you ASAP.
Already know what you're looking for? Browse the equipment we carry:
Fume-Air™ 750 Portable Fume Extractor w/10’ Arm Assembly Various options and models are available at varying costs. This unit is not intrinsical...View full details$7,177.82| /$6,138.00| /
Accurate Reading-Calibrated for helium, the unit also has multiple gas selection including Ammonia, Argon, Butane, Hydrogen, SF6 and some refriger...View full details$6,138.00| /$2,766.00| /
Gilian Gilibrator 3 Calibrator Kit, Primary Standard Dry Cell with Low Flow Cell (50 to 5,000 cc/min)NSI
For measuring respirable dust particles.PLEASE NOTE: Not for extended high heat applications, ARC flash, Flash Fire, &/or major thermal/energy...View full details$2,766.00| /$2,595.00| /
REQUIRES 3M™ Versaflo™ TR-65360N TR-600 PAPR Respirator Organic Vapor/Acid Gas/HEPA Cartridges 5/Case The new standard in intrinsically safe prot...View full details$2,595.00| /$1,421.23| /
For measuring respirable dust particles.PLEASE NOTE: NIOSH does not have a stated analytical method for Argon. Argon concentrations would likely r...View full details$1,421.23| /$871.53| /
A $35.00 hazardous material handling charge applies to each shipment. This item ships directly from the OEM and the typical lead time when in stoc...View full details$871.53| /$837.38| /
Excellent protection for a variety of tasks A built-in air deflector allows direction of the airflow inside the headgear for increased control and...View full details$837.38| /$732.97| /
REQUIRED FOR USE WITH: 3M™ Versaflo™ Powered Air Purifying Respirator Intrinsically Safe PAPR Heavy Industry Kit IF PROTECTION FROM RADIANT HEAT I...View full details$732.97| /$343.00| /
Oxygen monitoring sensor to check for argon or metal powder. The sensor should be set between 21-25% oxygen levels. MSA Altair® Maintenance-Fr...View full details$343.00| /$282.63| /
PLEASE NOTE: Not for extended high heat applications, ARC flash, Flash Fire, &/or major thermal/energy transfer events. Typical lead time 5-7 ...View full details$282.63| /$219.59| /
3M™ Petroleum Sorbent Static Resistant Pad HP-557, Environmental Safety Product, High Capacity, 50 each/case, 75 gal. capacity/case. Download d...View full details$219.59| /$191.12| /
Station, Binder & Booklets, Recycled Aluminum PLEASE NOTE: Not for extended high heat applications, ARC flash, Flash Fire, &/or major the...View full details$191.12| /$154.92| /
For measuring respirable dust particles.PLEASE NOTE: NIOSH does not have a stated analytical method for Argon. Argon concentrations would likely r...View full details$154.92| /$146.03| /
Oxygen monitoring sensor to check for argon or metal powder. We recommend this item for use with the Kurtz Ersa Alpha 140. For measuring respira...View full details$146.03| /$135.17| /
REQUIRED FOR USE WITH: 3M™ Versaflo™ Powered Air Purifying Respirator Intrinsically Safe PAPR Heavy Industry Kit Integrated high efficiency part...View full details$135.17| /$86.80| /
PLEASE NOTE: Not for extended high heat applications- protects in any temperature up to 1200°F radiant heat and 900°F short contact heat.PLEASE NO...View full details$86.80| /$57.74| /
Ships directly from the manufacturer and does NOT qualify for free shipping. Additional sizes and color options are available at varying costs. Typ...View full details$57.74| /$43.40| /
1800°F High Temperature Heat Resistant Glove Each Shipped, priced, and sold by the EACH ONE (1) GLOVE. Available in RIGHT HAND OR LEFT HAND at th...View full details$43.40| /$16.41| /
PLEASE NOTE: Primary Arc/FR clothing is required to be worn underneath this secondary level of protection. (Limited use product does NOT provide t...View full details$16.41| /$15.39| /
With Scotchgard™ Anti-Fog lens coating Scotchgard™ anti-fog coating brings higher anti-fog performance* to safety eyewear, helping workers see mor...View full details$15.39| /$9.89| /
Features standard Monogoggle® design with a wider nosepiece to fit over half-mask respirators Indirect ventilation increases airflow and protect...View full details$9.89| /$2.04| /
Comfortably seals out the noiseCord keeps ear plugs handy for quick, easy compliance checks Soft, pliable, translucent flanges offer comfortable w...View full details$2.04| /Sort by
Added to your cart:** total_quantity ** | ** unit_price ** / ** unit_measure **